To Post a New Photo of the Week (POW)
A home-made Photo of the week display frame is now on the homepage. Some features will need to be improved, perhaps with a new software tool (Joomla “extension”); in the meanwhile, here’s what you or your designee will need to do to maintain the feature:
- You need to download the photo to your local drive using a reduced size (e.g.,500px width) so the file size doesn't exceed the uploader capacity; regardless of the pixel-based size, the image will be sized by the image format to take up 90% of the availalble width
- Once logged in as an editor; go to the homepage and click on the edit icon (tiny notepad) for the Photo of the Week Display Window.
- Once in edit mode, make all the text changes, then delete the existing photo
- With your cursor in the photo display window, click on the “insert image” link
- In the upper right of the window that opens, click the link for uploading an image; select “browse” to find the image you downloaded to your local drive, then select “open”
- If the image uploads successfully, you’ll see a thumbnail of it in the image manager window; select “insert” and the photo should appear in the homepage display window.
- Click on the inserted image to select it, and then click the “center” icon from the edit menu to center the image and all the text.
- Here’s the somewhat trickier part: making the photo a link to your full set:
- Again, select the image (still in edit mode)
- Click on the link icon (2 links attached) in the edit menu
- The link description window opens and you need to insert the full URL for your Flcker file in the space provided. No need to add anything else
- Click “save” and you should be done! (Test it to be sure)
To add the current page to the POW archive:
- Log in to the website
- Open the current photo display window in edit mode
- Click anywhere on the page and select all (Use Ctrl A)
- Save the current page and return to the homepage
- Select “submit an article”
- Enter a title (I’ve been using “Photo of the Week for Dec.15, 2013”, for example)
- Paste what you copied in step 3 above by using Ctrl V)
- Assign a section and category to the page (“Photos” and “”This Week’s Photos”, respectively) and enter your name
- Click “save” and you’re’ done
- Hint: you can add the current photo to the archive at any time, like, for example, at the same time you’re posting it as the newest entry.