Training and Programs
A note on temporary coronavirus precautions
Some aspects of normal club operations (denoted in red text) have been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic. For instance, currently, there are no formally-scheduled runs/walks, there is no water support, and there are no social events. Many of the training programs described below have also been suspended. These activities will return when health conditions permit. The club complies with the Commonwealth of Virginia, Fairfax County, and RRCA public health and safety policies.
Several of our members are RRCA-certified running instructors. These members, and others, volunteer their time for various programs which Reston Runners sponsors. Some of these programs are held every year. Others vary from year to year; depending upon interest of both volunteers and participants. Some of these programs incur costs and have a fee for participation. Our programs include:
- The Interval Training Program is a once a week evening program of track workouts during the summer, usually on Wednesday evenings at South Lakes HS.
- Youth In Motion (YIM): volunteers conduct a once-a-week summer program for youth ages 3-14, usually on Sunday afternoon or early evening
- Women’s Training Programis an eight-session program, conducted in the early spring, for women who want to begin a new exercise program or get back into exercising
- 10 Weeks to 10K Training provides training and support for individuals training for a fall 10K, 10-miler, or similar race distance.
- RMR Marathon Training is program that runs from January through March for runners preparing for the Runners Marathon of Reston in April (or other spring marathons).
- Trail Running is available for those who prefer rugged terrain
- Marine Corps Marathon: Sunday summer and early fall club runs offer long run training on-your-own options for those preparing for fall marathons.
- JFK 50-Mile support is a program for both those who wish to run in the annual 50-mile UltraMarathon and those who wish to volunteer to support the runners.
- Our Airport Run is an annual fall training event for those preparing for fall marathons or ultra-marathons. This one-way run starts at Reagan National Airport and heads back to Reston on the Mt. Vernon, Custis, and Washington & Old Dominion trails. A mid-way aid station is provided.
- Thanksgiving Day Run is a fun-for-the-whole family event that consists of a cross-country 5K (approximate) and lots of prizes
For more information please visit our training programs page.
Reston Runners organizes and conducts two annual races, a 5k for women only, and a marathon/half-marathon:
- Seize the Day 5kis a 5-K race for women of all ages. Mother/daughter teams are encouraged
- Runners Marathon of Reston is a club-sponsored, certified full marathon and half marathon held in early April
For more information on these events see our race page.
Events are also organized informally by groups of club members who simply arrange to meet each other at a set time and place and go for a run. Because these activities are not formal, they are not posted on the web site. Often, you can find out about them by listening to fellow runners. For example, if you are interested in running on Thursday mornings, ask around and you might find a group that is meeting and running. These informal groups often use social media tools to communicate activities.
Other Activities and Benefits
The club conducts several social activities, such as an optional breakfast after each weekend run, an annual summer picnic, and an annual club meeting. Reston Runners is often asked to provide support to community events, particularly athletic events. For example, the club does not conduct its normal week-end run on the day of the Reston Triathlon because most of our members either participate in or volunteer to support that event. Reston Runners supports a Community Fund, a financially independent tax-exempt organization, which raises money for community causes, in particular providing scholarships to local high school students who have excelled in running. Reston Runners conducts a program called “Finish Line Services” which provide equipment and people to time local races. Members of Reston Runners are provided discounts at the Potomac River Running store, at the YMCA, Fusion 360.
Reston Runners relies exclusively on volunteers to make all the events and activities successful. Water is provided, trails are marked, web pages are updated, eNews is sent, events are organized and executed, permits are requested, records are maintained, equipment and supplies are purchased, bills are paid. There is a lot to do and all are welcome to pitch in. Volunteering not only helps the club function but it provides an opportunity to meet people. Most volunteers agree that helping out is part of the fun of belonging to Reston Runners.
Our primary communication is via our website and our weekly eNews. The website, which is updated regularly, contains our schedule, including course maps, as well as information about all our activities. The eNews is sent out weekly to club members. Information is often provided in announcements at the beginning of each run/walk.